1 hr 5 mins
veg head 4-ever's Note:
This is the first recipe I ever made with filo pastry (or phyllo, found in the frozen section of the grocery store). I was brave and made it for a dinner party for a bunch of non-vegetarian friends. It turned out beautifully, with a golden flaky crust and savory cheese-broccoli filling. Rave reviews. Some Notes: 1. Use really good bread crumbs, you can make 'em yourself using good bread thats a few days old and either a food processor or a cheese grater. 2. You can make it vegan easily enough by substituting soy cheese or omitting the cheese completely. 3. I think this is from a Mollie Katzen cookbook :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 14.79 ml butter or 14.79 ml olive oil
- 236.59 ml onion, minced
- 1 large head broccoli, finely chopped
- 2.46 ml salt
- 14.79 ml black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 473.18 ml breadcrumbs, homemade
- 473.18 ml cheddar cheese, grated
- 29.58 ml lemon juice
- 10 sheet phyllo pastry
- 44.37-59.16 ml olive oil (for basting the phyllo)
- 1Preheat oven to 375 F, and oil a baking sheet.
- 2Melt butter or olive oil in a large pan. add onion and saute for about 5 minutes over medium heat.
- 3Add broccoli, salt and pepper, and cook for about 5 more minutes.
- 4Add garlic, and saute until broccoli is tender, about 5 more minutes, then remove from heat.
- 5Stir in bread crumbs, cheddar cheese, and lemon juice.
- 6To assemble: Place one sheet of phyllo on a clean, dry countertop. Brush the top lightly with olive oil, then add a second sheet. continue this process until there is a pile of five sheets. Add half the filling in the shape of a log to the short end of the phyllo pastry. fold in the sides (about 1/2 inch), then gently roll up so you have a neat little log (this process is easier than it sounds, think of it as a pastry burrito).
- 7Repeat the procedure to make a second roll.
- 8Carefully lift the pastries onto the baking sheet 4 inches apart.
- 9Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.
- 10Cut slices with a serated edge knife in a gentle sawing motion.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheddar Broccoli Strudel
Serving Size: 1 (136 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 11
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 281.7
- Calories from Fat 124
- Total Fat 13.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 24.3 mg
- Sodium 487.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 10.7 g