Prep 40 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is the first recipe I ever made with filo pastry (or phyllo, found in the frozen section of the grocery store). I was brave and made it for a dinner party for a bunch of non-vegetarian friends. It turned out beautifully, with a golden flaky crust and savory cheese-broccoli filling. Rave reviews. Some Notes: 1. Use really good bread crumbs, you can make 'em yourself using good bread thats a few days old and either a food processor or a cheese grater. 2. You can make it vegan easily enough by substituting soy cheese or omitting the cheese completely. 3. I think this is from a Mollie Katzen cookbook :)
- 14.79 ml butter or 14.79 ml olive oil
- 236.59 ml onion, minced
- 1 large head broccoli, finely chopped
- 2.46 ml salt
- 14.79 ml black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 473.18 ml breadcrumbs, homemade
- 473.18 ml cheddar cheese, grated
- 29.58 ml lemon juice
- 10 sheet phyllo pastry
- 44.37-59.16 ml olive oil (for basting the phyllo)
- Preheat oven to 375 F, and oil a baking sheet.
- Melt butter or olive oil in a large pan. add onion and saute for about 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Add broccoli, salt and pepper, and cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Add garlic, and saute until broccoli is tender, about 5 more minutes, then remove from heat.
- Stir in bread crumbs, cheddar cheese, and lemon juice.
- To assemble: Place one sheet of phyllo on a clean, dry countertop. Brush the top lightly with olive oil, then add a second sheet. continue this process until there is a pile of five sheets. Add half the filling in the shape of a log to the short end of the phyllo pastry. fold in the sides (about 1/2 inch), then gently roll up so you have a neat little log (this process is easier than it sounds, think of it as a pastry burrito).
- Repeat the procedure to make a second roll.
- Carefully lift the pastries onto the baking sheet 4 inches apart.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cut slices with a serated edge knife in a gentle sawing motion.
This recipe is excellent! I've made it for family dinner parties for my veggie dd and everyone loves it. Do follow the suggestion to use really good bread crumbs. I used olive oil in a spray bottle to oil the phyllo.