Recipe by Dine & Dish
This recipe is one of the recipes I adopted from the Recipezaar abandoned recipe adoptions.
Top Review by LonghornMama
Very good! I used the bread maker to knead and rise, then formed the dough for the ring mold. Used only 2 1/4 t yeast and extra sharp white cheddar cheese. Rose high, wonderful soft texture with great cheese flavor. Thanks, KCCooker, for giving this great recipe a home!
- 2 3⁄4 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar, Granulated
- 1 packet active dry yeast or 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, Sharp, Shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine 1 1/2 cups of the flour, the sugar, undissolved yeast and salt thoroughly in a large bowl.
- Heat the milk and butter together until very warm (115-125 degrees F.).
- Gradually add to the dry ingredients and beat at medium speed on an electric mixer for 2 minutes, scraping the bowl occasionally.
- Add 1/2 cup of the flour and the cheese.
- Beat fir 2 minutes on high speed on the mixer, scraping the bowl occasionally.
- Stir in enough additional flour to make a stiff but light dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top.
- Cover with a dishtowel that has been soaked in hot water and then wrung out until almost dry.
- Let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Punch the dough down and turn out on a lightly floured surface and shape into a 20-inch rope.
- Place seam side down in a buttered 6 1/2 cup ring mold, pinching the ends together.
- Cover and let rise in warm place until nearly doubled in bulk, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F. oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from the ring mold.
- NOTE: For a softer crust, brush with melted butter while still hot.
- Crust will become crisp when cool if you do not.