Recipe by cookiedog
These can be whipped up in no time! From Muffins: Sweet and Savory Comfort Food.
Top Review by jlw13
Tried this to take advantage of some maple cheddar - quite good, surprisingly light. Of course I made some changes so not really the same. Used half and half oat and wheat bran and subbed one cup whole wheat for white flour. Also added a cup of chopped apples. Just needed a little spice but not sure what...
- 1 cup whole natural bran
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray muffin cups with non-stick cooking spray.
- In small bowl, soften bran in buttermilk. In larege bowl, cream shrotening and sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg.
- In separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Add to creamed mixture alternately with bran mixture. Stir in cheese.
- Fill muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes.