Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Taken from my Better Homes & Gardens New Cookbook. Makes a light, moist muffin. The sugar adds a hint of sweet, but I still consider it a savory muffin.
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup egg substitute
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose white flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Soften bran in buttermilk.
- Cream oil and sugar; beat in egg.
- Sift together next 4 ingredients.
- Add to creamed mixture alternately with bran mixture.
- Stir in cheese.
- Fill greased muffin pans 2/3 full.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes.