Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
I love beer. I love cheese. This combines both of my loves into a tasty quick bread. Use the type of beer you enjoy drinking. I have found heavier beers such as the lovely flavors that come out during Oktoberfest time make the best cheddar beer breads. I use extra sharp cheddar, but if you don't like it you can substitute normal cheddar for this recipe.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1⁄4 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 12 ounces beer (1 bottle)
- Mix all ingredients together, mixing in beer last. Batter should be the consistency of Bisquick. Spoon into a well greased bread pan and bake at 350 degrees (f) for about 50 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
- Let bread rest in it's pan for about 10 minutes then let it cool on a rack for another 10 or so. If you can wait that long!
This was great! Easy too. My kids ate it up!
Seemed a little gooey after baking full time. Good flavor though, used regular Budweiser.
I used scotch ale as a base, then instead of green onions i added some caramelized walla-wallas. I also added some garlic, basil, and oregano. It turned out really nicely and only lasted a day! Thanks for posting!