Recipe by FLUFFSTER
Another recipe from a singing legend. Remember Isaac Hayes? Of "Shaft" fame? He has a tremendous cookbook and there are so many wonderful recipes, I dedicated an entire cookbook for his recipes. There is nothing fancy about soul food, but it has been served to many famous people. Hope you like it. It has "store-bought baked beans to give you a hand to begin with.
- 1 (28 ounce) can baked beans
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup honey or 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup maple syrup, accordingly, to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup cubed sharp cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place the beans in a 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
- Stir in the onion,peppers,seasonings, and honey or maple syrup.
- Dot with the butter and top with the cubes of cheddar cheese. Bake for 30 minutes. When the cheese is melted and bubbly and you can smell the spices, it's ready!