Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Kids love these! Also go well on a buffet breaky.
- 4 bagels, halved
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Butter the cut sides of bagels, and enlarge holes to 1 inch in diameter.
- Working in batches, place bagel halves buttered side down in heavy fry pan over medium high heat.
- Cook for about 2 minutes or until golden on bottom.
- Transfer all bagel halves, cut side down to rimmed baking sheet.
- Break an egg into center of each bagel half and sprinkle with equal amounts of salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle cheese over eggs.
- Bake in 400F oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until eggs are set but yolks are still soft.
WARNING! These bagels may induce family members to linger at the table. Do not make this if you have to rush off to work or the kids have to get to school. These are so delicious, so addictive, that people will sit, and eat, and talk, and eat, and want more. They are pretty easy to make, so if you don't make enough you can easily make more when everyone clamours for seconds, thirds, fourths... but beware, children will be late for school and you will be late getting to work. I suggest having these for a leisurely Sunday morning breakfast, or maybe even for a funky dinner. Do not make or even eat these if you want to rush off to where you need to go. I added a bit of cayenne pepper to my portion before cooking it, gave it just enough heat to wake me up. I enjoyed these so much, we're going to have them again tomorrow, maybe even the next day, and the next....
We enjoyed this nice treat for Sunday morning breakfast. I used white brick cheese and it tasted just fine. Very simple to make. Thanks.
These are fantastic! I make something similar with a hole in the middle of a piece of toast, but these taste much better (according to my kids). I first toasted/browned the bagels on my griddle so I could do all of them at the same time. I used my pampered chef bar pan and had no problem with sticking. I made some exactly as recipe stated and I also added bacon on others. Both are delicious! Because my kids don't like soft or runny yolks, I gently break the yolks before baking. It took me no longer than 20 minutes to complete. Thank you for a hot, fast, delicious, and filling breakfast! I will surely be adding these in our weekly breakfast rotation!