Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Traditional scalloped potatoes are made extra tasty in this potato recipe with a velvety cheese sauce made from evaporated milk, plus cheese and bacon.
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 -3 lbs potatoes (6 medium)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Place potatoes in large saucepan. Cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook over medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until just fork tender; drain.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Gradually stir in evaporated milk, water and 1/3 cup bacon. Cook for about 8 to 10 minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 1/2 cups cheese and green onion.
- Layer half of potatoes in ungreased 3-quart microwave-safe dish. Pour half of sauce over potatoes. Top with remaining potatoes and sauce. Top with remaining cheese and bacon. Microwave uncovered on HIGH (100%) power for 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Excellant! They went super fast. I wish I doubled the recipe.