Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
- 10 -12 medium baking potatoes
- 1 lb bacon, thickly sliced
- 4 -5 large onions, sliced fairly thick
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Scrub potatoes and slice thick without peeling.
- Put potatoes in cold water and cover.
- Slice onions.
- Fry bacon.
- Remove bacon and discard drippings.
- In a large casserole dish, spray with nonstick cooking spray, place cooked and drained bacon on bottom of dish.
- Drain potato slices and layer in casserole alternating with onions, bacon and cheese.
- Top with butter.
- Bake in oven at 325 degrees for 1-1/2 hours or until potatoes are tender.
A couple of suggestionsn, first this needs salt & pepper. Second, next time I will slice my potatos thinner and make more layers of cheese, bacon and onions. Also I will put the butter on each layer of potatos for the most effect and end with a layer of cheese on top. The flavor combination is good and the dish is very easy to make.
This is to DIE FOR!! I halved the recipe and had no problems. I also ended with cheese on top, and skipped the butter because I figured the cheese would already be oily. The end result was delicious! I can't wait to eat the leftovers!
When I made this, instead of grated cheese, I added a can of Cheddar Cheese soup. Also instead of onions, which I thought I had but didn't haha, I used scallions. I did top it off with the grated cheese. I really enjoyed this recipe. It's even better the next day!