My husband called from work and asked if I would make Stuffed Mushrooms for dinner. I didn't have mushrooms at home and the weather was terrible so I didn't want to drive to the store. This mushroom cake was the result of what was in the pantry/refrigerator... I used canned & fresh mushrooms, as that was what I had on hand. You could use any combination of mushrooms - whatever you have, whatever you like.
- 6 1⁄2 ounces mushrooms, stems & pieces, drained
- 1⁄8 cup shiitake mushroom, diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, snipped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs, for dredging
- Heat diced bacon in skillet over medium-high heat until bacon is crisp and crumbly; remove bacon bits, leaving bacon grease in pan. Turn off the heat to the skillet. Add 4-5 crushed cloves of garlic to the bacon grease, remove & discard garlic cloves when fragrant (to flavor the bacon grease - leave in the grease longer for a more intense garlic flavor).
- Mix all ingredients (minus the cup of breadcrumbs for dredging) together in a bowl; form into patties, dredge in breadcrumbs.
- Reheat the bacon grease and fry the patties in the bacon grease until golden brown on each side.