1/1 Photo of Cheddar-Apple Soup
1 hr 15 mins
This recipe comes from Betty Crocker's "Why It Works" cookbook that I checked out from the library. Great little book! As always, I will substitute fat free half and half and possibly even delete the whipping cream because I feel that I get similar results while saving myself calories and fat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large golden delicious apple, peeled, cored, and finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup apple juice
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon apple juice concentrate
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1In a 4 quart dutch oven, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add apple and onion. Cook 12 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently until soft but not brown. Add carrot and cook 5 minutes more.
- 2Increase heat to medium. Add flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Add 1/2 cup of the broth, stirring constantly with a wire whisk until incorporate. Add additional broth, 1/2 cup at a time, until all broth is incorporated. Add apple juice.
- 3Increase heat to high. Heat soup to boiling, stirring occasionally. stir well and add half-and-half, whipping cream and bay leaf. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer gently for 15 minutes. Do not let boil or soup may curdle.
- 4Remove bay leaf. Add apple juice condentrate, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper. Gradually stir in cheese until completely melted and smooth, about 8 minutes.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheddar-Apple Soup
Serving Size: 1 (266 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 433.3
- Calories from Fat 290
- Total Fat 32.2 g
- Saturated Fat 19.8 g
- Cholesterol 98.7 mg
- Sodium 768.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 8.3 g
- Protein 15.0 g