Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This was an entry in RSC #10.
Make and share this Cheddar Apple Pizza recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (9 inch) pastry for single-crust pie
- 4 large apples, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch slices (approx 5 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly ground
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup golden raisin
- Roll pastry to approx 12 inches (you can use a pizza pan or baking stone).
- Bake crust at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Arrange apples in a single layer in a circular pattern to completely cover pastry.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Combine brown sugar, pecans, spices, raisins and maple syrup in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle brown sugar mixture over apples and cheese.
- Cut butter into small pieces and dot top of pizza.
- Bake for 20 minutes longer or until apples are tender.
- Cut into wedges; serve warm.
I know apple and cheese is a popular combo but i'm more of an apple and peanut butter kind of person I really enjoyed this! I used low fat homemade pastry and old light cheddar. I loved the sweet slightly maple flavour with the apples. There are a couple things I would change if made again though. I found the nutmeg a bit too strong so would decrease it next time. My maple syrup mixture became very wet therefore didn't sprinkle on. Next time i'd toss the apples with the maple syrup and sprinkle on the other ingredients in the brown sugar mixture. What a great use of contest ingredients. Good luck in RSC #10!
What a great idea! We love cheddar on apple pie and couldn't wait to try this delicious dessert. There's only 4 of us in our family, so I shared with our neighbors and everyone loved it! The flavors all went really well together... I was afraid the amount of cheese would be too small, but it was perfect. I did end up only using half of the apples that I had sliced. I thought they were about 1/4 inch, but my pizza was covered in one layer using only about two apples. ?? The cooking time was perfect, though for the crust and for the apples. We'll definitely make this one again! THanks!