Recipe by Susie in Texas
Pure comfort food! Wonderful addition to a large breakfast or brunch. Delicious anytime. Best when served warm. Note the recipe calls for sharp cheddar but medium or mild cheddar could be used. Do not use American cheese or processed cheese food, such as Velveeta, because they will not work in this recipe.
Top Review by mommymakeit4u
Soooo goood... and pretty easy to put together. I was worried about how thick the batter was, but there was nothing to worry about. I used buttermilk because that's all I had and it worked perfectly!
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine, melted
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 cups peeled & chopped apples
- 3⁄4 cup chopped pecans or 3⁄4 cup walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease and flour a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan or spray it with cooking spray.
- In large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Add beaten eggs, milk and margarine; mix well.
- Stir in cheese, apples and pecans.
- Mixture will be fairly thick; spoon into loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 60- 70 minutes or until it tests done with wooden pick inserted in center.
- Remove from oven and let stand for about 5 minutes.
- Invert and remove loaf from pan.