Recipe by EdsGirlAngie
My hubby clipped a breakfast recipe out of a magazine for us to try (subtle hinting...); I tweaked and changed it, adding fresh ingredients instead of canned; changing the cheese, until it really didn't resemble the original recipe at all, but it sure was delicious!
- 1 (8 ounce) package mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 jalapeno pepper, minced (more if you like)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 ounces queso fresco, crumbled
- 4 eggs
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon grated onion
- 1 tablespoon flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute mushrooms, red bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, chili powder and cumin together in the olive oil for about 5 minutes; set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine the eggs, evaporated milk, grated onion and flour; don't beat yourself up about making sure there are no flour lumps in the mixture, a few won't make a difference in the finished dish. Set egg mixture aside.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Generously grease a 1-1/2 quart baking dish and with a slotted spoon, transfer the mushroom-pepper mix to the baking dish, reserving the cooking juices that have accumulated in the pan. Add the two cheeses to the mushroom-pepper mix and toss together to combine. Pour the accumulated mushroom-pepper cooking juices into the egg mixture, stir to combine, then pour the egg mixture over the veggies and cheeses in the baking dish.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour; raise oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 30 more minutes.