1/1 Photo of Cheddar and Onion Rye Rolls
From the Culinary Institute of America! Here's what they say,"Serve these rolls slightly warmed to bring out the great taste of cheese and onions. Make a double batch of rolls so that you can tuck some away in the freezer. Then you can just grab one or two on your way out the door to enjoy on your drive or at your desk." I hope you enjoy! :) Plan for about 1 hour and 45 minutes rising time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the yeast and water in the bowl of a mixer and stir to completely dissolve. Let the yeast proof until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- 2Add the bread and rye flours, sugar, molasses, oil, and salt. Mix the ingredients together on low speed using the dough hook just until the dough begins to come together (it will look a little rough), about 4 minutes. Increase the speed to medium-high and mix until the dough is smooth, 2 more minutes. Add the cheese and onion and continue to mix on medium speed until the cheese and onions are evenly distributed throughout the dough, about 1 minute.
- 3Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead by hand until the cheese and onions are completely worked into the dough. (The dough will feel rather tight.) Gather it into a smooth ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let the dough rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- 4Fold the dough gently over on itself in three or four places, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface, and cut it into 20 equal pieces. Cover the pieces and let them rest until nice and relaxed, about 15 minutes.
- 5Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or grease lightly.
- 6Round each piece of dough into a smooth ball and place in even rows on the prepared baking sheets. Cover and let rise until the dough springs back when lightly touched but does not collapse, 30 minutes.
- 7Make a small slit down the center of each roll with a very sharp paring knife or a razor blade. Dust the tops of the rolls lightly with rye flour, if desired.
- 8Bake until the rolls have a golden brown crust and sound hollow when thumped on the bottom, 15-18 minutes. Cool completely on racks before serving. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheddar and Onion Rye Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (1444 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 168.6
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 11.8 mg
- Sodium 246.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 6.0 g