1/2 Photos of Cheddar and Garlic-Stuffed Potatoes
1 hr 15 mins
YUM - baked potatoes with lots of garlic paste, butter and gooey Cheddar. In our house, this recipe is a favorite with the kids. It uses a whole head of garlic, not cloves.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 head garlic (medium or large, depending on how much garlic flavor you want)
- olive oil
- 4 medium russet baking potatoes (about 2 pounds total)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely grated cheddar cheese (about 6 ounces)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- sour cream and chopped green onion, to taste, as topping
- 1Put a rack in the middle of oven and preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2Cut off and discard top quarter of garlic head. Place in a piece of foil and drizzle with just a tiny amount of olive oil (about 1/8 teaspoon). Bring up all sides of foil and twist tightly at the top to wrap the garlic tightly in the foil. Scrub potatoes and prick with a fork. Bake potatoes and garlic on oven rack for 45 minutes.
- 3Remove garlic and let cool. If crispy skin is desired, rub potatoes with olive oil and cover with foil; continue baking potatoes until tender, about 20 minutes more. Take potatoes out of oven, but leave the oven on.
- 4Squeeze pulp from garlic cloves into a medium bowl and discard skin. Stir in butter, sour cream, and 1 cup Cheddar. Cutting lengthwise, slice off top quarter of each potato and discard. Leaving 1/4-inch-thick shells, scoop flesh out of potatoes and add to cheese mixture. Mash with fork to combine. Season with salt and pepper and divide among shells.
- 5Arrange potatoes in a small baking pan and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup Cheddar. Bake until heated through, 15-20 minutes. Add a dollop of sour cream and a generous sprinkling of chopped green onions on top before serving.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheddar and Garlic-Stuffed Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (300 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 474.4
- Calories from Fat 242
- Total Fat 26.9 g
- Saturated Fat 16.9 g
- Cholesterol 75.8 mg
- Sodium 289.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 16.5 g