Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
The original title of this recipe is Cheddar and BEER dip but, in honor of the 2007 NFC Champs, the Bears, the name was changed by the Chicago Tribune in their Good Eating section. Originally found in 'The Complete Idiot's Guide to Fondues & Hot Dips', this is perfect for Superbowl game day, well, at least in Chicago it is!! The orange of the dip and the blue of the chips will be perfect at a Superbowl party (in which the Bears are playing, of course). GO BEARS!!!
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer (see note)
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika or 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon prepared English mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- blue corn tortilla chips
- Combine the beer, paprika, mustard and ground red pepper in a heavy, 2-qt. saucepan; stir well. Heat to a simmer over medium heat.
- Add the cheese, 1/2 cup at a time, whisking constantly in a figure-eight pattern; add the next batch of cheese only after the previous cheese has melted.
- Meanwhile, stir the water and cornstarch in a small bowl until cornstarch has dissolved; add to pan of cheese.
- Heat to a simmer, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring, until fondue has thickened, about 1-2 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a fondue pot or any pan with a heat source and serve with chips.
- (note) The original recipes calls for a lager-type beer so most American beers qualify and use your favorite beer. DON'T use light beer because it won't stand up to the cheese and spices.
not a bear fan..lol.. GO Packers..but this was very good..thought about using green food coloring and yellow chips..LOL..this was loved by all at the super bowl party..Thanks