Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
Serve these tasty snacks warm from the oven for a really delicious party nibble - they're popular with adults as well as children....
- 20 new potatoes
- 4 slices lean smoked back bacon
- 4 1⁄2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 ounces butter
- freshly ground salt and pepper
- 1 pinch grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- oregano sprigs or flat leaf parsley
- Simmer the potatoes until just tender before draining in a colander. Preheat a grill and cook the bacon until crisp. Preheat the oven to 400°F
- Cut tops off each potato, and using a small sharp knife, scoop out the flesh. Cut thin strips off each of the potato bases so that the potatoes can stay upright.
- Using a fork, combine the potato flesh with the butter and cheese. Season well and stir in the bacon.
- Using a teaspoon, carefully spoon the filling back into the potato shells and top with the potato lids set at a jaunty angle!
- Brush liberally with the olive oil and set the potatoes on a baking tray, lined with baking parchment. Cook until the filling is golden and the cheese is golden - about 10- 15 minutes.
- Garnish with herb sprigs and serve warm from the oven.
Well this was a challenge. The general outcome was very tasty. I had to attempt this twice. The first time I simmered the potatoes, the skins of all of them cracked and peeled back. The next time I only simmered them for 15 minutes, then microwaved them for another 5 minutes at 1 minute increments. These were very hard to work with because the skin was so fragil. It took much longer than stated time to prepare them. I used a sharp paring knif to loosen the potato and then a grapefruit spoon to scoop out the inside. Not sure I'll make these again because they are so time consuming, or they were for me. Thanks Made for PAC Fall 07