Recipe by English_Rose
Sunday morning and you're reading the papers, savoring the lovely aroma of fried bacon as you wait for your Cheddar and bacon loaf to finish baking. This easy recipe only takes 40 minutes from start to finish, with no yeast or kneading involved - so enjoy.
- butter, for greasing
- 4 slices streaky bacon
- 10 ounces all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch English mustard powder
- 2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, cut into 1/2in cubes
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk, plus 1 tbsp
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400°F Grease the base and sides of a 1lb loaf tin and line the base with baking paper.
- Snip the bacon into strips and dry-fry in a pan until crisp, then cool.
- Meanwhile, put the flour, baking powder, salt and mustard powder into a bowl and stir. Add the cheese, bacon, egg, 1 cup milk and parsley. Stir well with a wooden spoon until it has a soft dropping consistency – add extra milk, if needed.
- Spread in the tin and bake for 25 minutes, until risen, golden brown and just firm to the touch. Serve warm or cold, with butter and cheese, if you like.