- 170.09 g self-raising flour
- 1.23 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml cayenne pepper
- 1.23 ml mustard powder
- 28.34 g butter
- 7.39 ml fresh chives, chopped
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 113.39 g smoked bacon
- 113.39 g sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 44.37 ml buttermilk
- 29.58 ml milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 220°C.
- Grill the bacon until starting to crisp. Cool and chop into small dice.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl along with the mustard powder, baking powder and cayenne.
- Using your hands rub the butter into the mixture until it's fully blended and it looks like fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the bacon, 3 /4 of the cheddar and chives.
- Mix the beaten egg with the buttermilk. Stir into the flour mixture until it's formed a smooth dough, but go lightly, otherwise the scones will be very heavy.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to 1 inch thickness. Cut into 6 circles with a 2 1/2 inch cutter.
- Place scones on a greased baking sheet. Brush with milk and sprinkle over remaining cheddar.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes.