1/3 Photos of Cheddar and Bacon Buttermilk Scones
These are a savoury version of an English favourite. They are wonderful served slightly warm, split in half and spread with butter.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 220°C.
- 2Grill the bacon until starting to crisp. Cool and chop into small dice.
- 3Sift the flour into a mixing bowl along with the mustard powder, baking powder and cayenne.
- 4Using your hands rub the butter into the mixture until it's fully blended and it looks like fine breadcrumbs.
- 5Stir in the bacon, 3 /4 of the cheddar and chives.
- 6Mix the beaten egg with the buttermilk. Stir into the flour mixture until it's formed a smooth dough, but go lightly, otherwise the scones will be very heavy.
- 7Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to 1 inch thickness. Cut into 6 circles with a 2 1/2 inch cutter.
- 8Place scones on a greased baking sheet. Brush with milk and sprinkle over remaining cheddar.
- 9Bake for 15 - 20 minutes.
Browse Our Top Scones Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheddar and Bacon Buttermilk Scones
Serving Size: 1 (92 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 331.8
- Calories from Fat 174
- Total Fat 19.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.4 g
- Cholesterol 82.8 mg
- Sodium 985.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 16.0 g