- 6 ounces self-raising flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh chives, chopped
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 4 ounces smoked bacon
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 220°C.
- Grill the bacon until starting to crisp. Cool and chop into small dice.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl along with the mustard powder, baking powder and cayenne.
- Using your hands rub the butter into the mixture until it's fully blended and it looks like fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the bacon, 3 /4 of the cheddar and chives.
- Mix the beaten egg with the buttermilk. Stir into the flour mixture until it's formed a smooth dough, but go lightly, otherwise the scones will be very heavy.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to 1 inch thickness. Cut into 6 circles with a 2 1/2 inch cutter.
- Place scones on a greased baking sheet. Brush with milk and sprinkle over remaining cheddar.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes.