Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are a savoury version of an English favourite. They are wonderful served slightly warm, split in half and spread with butter.
- Preheat oven to 220°C.
- Grill the bacon until starting to crisp. Cool and chop into small dice.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl along with the mustard powder, baking powder and cayenne.
- Using your hands rub the butter into the mixture until it's fully blended and it looks like fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the bacon, 3 /4 of the cheddar and chives.
- Mix the beaten egg with the buttermilk. Stir into the flour mixture until it's formed a smooth dough, but go lightly, otherwise the scones will be very heavy.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to 1 inch thickness. Cut into 6 circles with a 2 1/2 inch cutter.
- Place scones on a greased baking sheet. Brush with milk and sprinkle over remaining cheddar.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes.
AMAZING! I loved the texture of these. And they were so easy to put together. These are so impressive that I can't wait to serve them to company!! Thanks for posting such a great recipe!
These are magical scones...they just disappeared from the table. I doubled the recipe and made a few changes. I used 4 egg whites, turkey bacon, and fat free buttermilk. I also substituted Brummel & Brown spread instead of butter. I was lazier than Stormylee and just did drop style, worked out just fine. Will appear on my table again, thanks