Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
The magic of this recipe is the special sauce made fromthe toasted almonds, roasted garlic, and some of the asparagus. Enjoy! Adapted from Vegetarian Times magazine.
- 2 small heads of garlic
- 1 1⁄2 lbs asparagus, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 6 slices pumpernickel bread
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Separate garlic cloves, and place the cloves on a baking sheet. Roast about 20 minutes, or until skins begin to brown and garlic turns soft. Cool, then squeeze garlic from skin of each clove. Increase oven temperature to 450*F.
- Toss asparagus in 1 Tbs. oil, and sprinkle with 1/4 tsp.of the salt. Place in a single layer on baking sheet, and roast 5 to 8 minutes, or until crisp-tender. Cool. Trim ends so asparagus are same length as width of bread, and reserve ends.
- Put 1/4 cup almonds in food processor (or blender), and chop fine. Add roasted garlic, reserved asparagus ends, lemon juice, remaining oil and remaining 1/4 teaspoons salt, and purée until smooth.
- Preheat broiler.
- Place bread slices on a baking sheet. Spread each slice with 2 Tbs. puréed almond mixture. Lay 4 or 5 asparagus spears on each bread slice, and top with 1/4 cup cheese. Broil sandwiches about 3 minutes, or until cheese has melted. Sprinkle sandwiches with remaining almonds. Enjoy!