Prep 25 mins
Cook 5 mins
Sugared almonds and a honey-mustard dressing make this salad a real standout.
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 9 cups torn romaine lettuce
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- In a small heavy skillet, combine almonds and sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat for 5-6 minutes or until nuts are coated and golden. Spread onto foil to cool.
- Divide romaine among salad plates; top with eggs and cheese.
- In a blender, combine the sugar, vinegar, honey, lemon juice, onion powder, celery seed, mustard, paprika and salt. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream. Drizzle over salads; sprinkle with almonds. Serve immediately.
Husband has a misplaced sense of humor. I told him I had an "exotic" salad for his lunch. He thought I said "erotic" and was expecting something fun and frisky. What am I going to to with that man? Made for Best of 2009 and goes straight to my tops 2010 list.
Great salad! Left off the eggs this time. The honey-mustard dressing was a nice change of pace for my family. Thanks!
Oh man this was good! I just loved the sweet tart dressing! I halved the recipe and used red leaf lettuce and iceberg instead of romaine. Thanks! Made for 123 Hit Wonders.