Recipe by ChefDebs
this is a really manly version of the regular beer cheese soup. A hearty warming winter treat. I like to use GUINESS, but any dark beer could be used. Also if you like your soup smooth; puree the soup before adding the beer and cheese.
Top Review by Paws in Hand
I made this a few weeks ago--I followed the recipe exactly (used skim milk)and this turned out fabulous. I didn't puree the soup, but I think that would be great too. Oh--didn't use the sugar--not sure where it went, but it was great. Will make again!
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken stock
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle Guinness stout
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 1⁄4 lbs sharp cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, melt butter, and saute onion, celery and carrots until soft ( 15 mins ).
- Stir in flour and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add milk and stock, stirring constantly and cook until thickened ( 10 mins).
- At this point you can puree mixture if you want a smooth soup.
- Add beer, worcestershire sauce and mustard, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Slowly add the cheddar cheese, but do not let the soup boil .
- Season with salt and ladle into bowls.
- Garnish with cilantro or parsley if desired.