Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Another great find from Family Circle for those good, ripe strawberries! Time includes refrigeration.
- 1 1⁄4 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 9 whole boards)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 drops red food coloring
- 12 ounces frozen Cool Whip, thawed
- 2 cups chopped strawberries (from two 1-pint baskets)
- 6 strawberries
- 1 tablespoon strawberry jelly
- 6 chocolate Hershey chocolate kisses, wrapping removed
- white nonpareil decorative candies
- Crust: Mix crumbs, cocoa and sugar in medium-size bowl. Stir in melted butter until well mixed. Press mixture over bottom and up sides of 9-inch glass pie plate. Place in freezer until ready to fill.
- Filling: Mix sugar and cornstarch in medium-size saucepan. Over medium heat, gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and comes to a boil, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in white chocolate, vanilla and food coloring until mixture is smooth. Transfer to large bowl; cover surface directly with plastic wrap. Let cool to room temperature, about 2 hours.
- When cool, whisk chocolate mixture until smooth. Reserve 1 cup of the nondairy topping. Fold the remaining nondiary topping into chocolate mixture.
- Spread half of chocolate filling over bottom of prepared crust. Top with chopped strawberries. Spread remaining chocolate filling over strawberries. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- To decorate top of pie: Spoon remaining nondairy topping into pastry bag fitted with #30 star tip. Pipe border around edge of pie. Pipe grid over top of pie. Arrange whole strawberries in squares on top of pie. Melt jelly in small microwave-safe bowl in microwave oven on high power, about 15 seconds. Brush jelly over kisses. Sprinkle kisses with nonpareils. Arrange in squares. Or use uncoated striped kisses.