Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
Eggless patterned cookies with vanilla and chocolate flavor
Make and share this Checkerboard Cookies recipe from Food.com.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar using a whisk or an electric whisk until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and mix again.
- Now, add the flour in batches and mix into the butter sugar mixture until you get a crumbly mixture.
- Once you reach the crumbly stage, knead the dough until it all comes together into a big lump.
- In case you find the dough too sticky, sprinkle a lil flour and knead.
- Once done kneading, divide the dough into half.
- In one portion of the dough, sprinkle the cocoa powder and gently incorporate the cocoa into the dough thoroughly.
- Now, place the white dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper or butter paper and gently roll out into a 5" square making sure the dough is evenly rolled out.
- Repeat the same process with the chocolate dough too.
- Now, line a tray or a plate with parchment paper.
- Cut the rolled out dough into 4 strips each 3/4" wide.
- In the lined tray, assemble the strips in an alternate fashion to get the checkerboard pattern.
- Once you assemble the strips, refrigerate the dough for 2 to 3 hours. I refrigerated the dough for 1 day out of sheer lack of time to bake them but needless to say, i had super crunchy cookies so no regrets there.
- After 3 hours, preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Cut the log of dough into 1/4" thick slices and assemble on a parchment paper lined baking tray leaving an inch gap between each cookie.
- Bake for 8 to 10 mins or until the cookies turn a light brown.
- Cool completely and store in an airtight container.