Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Love these cookies in our family. Looks pretty on your Christmas cookie platter. You can color the white part red and/or green.
- 226.79 g butter
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 1 egg
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 591.47 ml flour
- 44.37 ml Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add egg vanilla and flour.
- Remove dough from mixer and divide in half.
- Add cocoa to one half.
- At this point, you can divide the white dough in half and color red, green or whatever with a few drops of food coloring.
- Roll dough between two sheets of plastic wrap into 7 inch squares, around 3/8" thick.
- Slice into 9 3/4 inch wide strips.
- Alternate colors, stacking 3 layers into checkerboard design. Wrap log in plastic. Make second log with reverse color pattern.
- Chill logs 30 minutes in refrigerator or 15 minutes in freezer.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Slice logs into 1/4" cookies and bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Cool two minutes on tray before removing to cooling rack.