1/1 Photo of Checkerboard Cake
Very unusual cake
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 ounces dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 10 ounces dark chocolate
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1Grease and flour three 9" round cake pans.
- 2Trace three 9-inch circles on parchment paper; cut out. Draw 6-inch circle, centered, on each cutout; draw 3-inch circle, centered, on each cutout.
- 3Line bottom of each pan with 1 paper circle, pencil side down.
- 4In large heatproof bowl set over hot (not boiling) water, melt chopped chocolate. Stir in cocoa powder. Let cool to room temperature.
- 5In separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- 6In large bowl, beat butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs,one at a time, beating well after each addition, add vanilla.
- 7Beat in flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, making 3 additions of dry ingredients and 2 of buttermilk.
- 8Stir 3 1/2 cups of the batter into melted chocolate.
- 9Spoon white and chocolate batters into separate large piping bags(or spoon into 2 large resealable plastic bags and cut 1-inch hole in 1 corner of each).
- 10Pipe chocolate batter to fill outer ring of each of 2 of the pans.
- 11Pipe white batter over middle ring, then chocolate batter over inner ring.
- 12In third pan, pipe white batter over outer ring, chocolate over middle ring and white over inner ring.
- 13Bake in centre of 350°F oven until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean, 20-25 minutes.
- 14Let cool in pans on rack for 10 minutes. Turn out onto rack; let cool completely.
- 15For the filling, place chopped chocolate in bowl.
- 16In saucepan, heat whipping cream over medium heat just until steaming. Pour over chocolate, whisking just until melted.
- 17Refrigerate until thickened but still spreadable, about 30 minutes.
- 18Whisk just until color lightens.
- 19Using serrated knife, trim tops of cake layers to make level, if necessary.
- 20Starting with 1 of the cake layers with chocolate outer ring, spread with 1/3 cup of the ganache.
- 21Top with cake layer with white outer ring; spread with another 1/3 cup of the ganache.
- 22Top with remaining cake layer.
- 23Cover top and side with remaining ganache.
- 24Refrigerate before serving.
- 25Some people may find it easier to use one of "Checkerboard Cake Pan Sets" available online or in local stores.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Checkerboard Cake
Serving Size: 1 (2196 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 7505.3
- Calories from Fat 4486
- Total Fat 498.5 g
- Saturated Fat 301.9 g
- Cholesterol 1886.3 mg
- Sodium 4736.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 756.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 75.7 g
- Sugars 325.3 g
- Protein 142.0 g