Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
That packaged mac and cheese with the dry cheese is unavailable in Greece but that's the taste my kids want! This is my attempt at duplicating it - pretty good, I think - and my kids are happy.
- 1 lb dry pasta (we like farfalle or fusilli)
- 1 3⁄4 cups skim milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic granules (optional)
- 16 ounces processed cheddar cheese slices (2 packages - 10 slices per package)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Bring plenty of water to the boil and salt generously. Boil your pasta 2 minutes short of the time stated on the package.
- While the pasta is boiling, scald milk in a small pot and add the garlic granules, if using, all the cheese and the butter. Turn off heat and just allow the cheese to sit there and melt while your pasta is cooking. When pasta is nearly done, whisk melted cheese into milk to blend.
- Drain cooked pasta and immediately return to pot. Add hot milk/cheese mixture and stir pasta to coat. Cover pasta and allow to sit in this mixture for 10 minutes. Stir again to coat (most of sauce will have been absorbed by the pasta, leaving a thick, creamy sauce in the pot) and serve.