1/5 Photos of Cheat's Easy Spiced Couscous With Fruit and Nuts - in a Jar!
French Tart's Note:
A Brilliant and easy accompaniment to a Fragrant Tagine, Stew or Curry. It's a cheat's recipe as you can pre-mix all the dry ingredients together & store in a jar ready for use at the drop of a hat. Just add hot water or hot stock and voila, a wonderful fruity, spiced couscous! It can be used cold for picnic & buffet salads - cold cuts of meat, such as diced cooked chicken breast can be added too. Also a great veggie main course - just add chargrilled vegetables and mix through - serve with flatbreads, pitta bread & harissa dressing for an extra kick!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 250 g couscous
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil or 4 ounces melted butter
- 4 teaspoons ras el hanout spice mix or 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander, Cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, lightly toasted under a grill
- 6 -8 soft dried apricots, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons golden sultana raisins
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon garlic granules, NOT salt
- 300 ml hot vegetable stock, made with salt free cube if possible such as Marigold Swiss Vegetable
- 1 ounce butter (to garnish)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander, cilantro
- 1Mix all the dry ingredients together.
- 2(The amounts can be doubled or even quadrupled for long term storage of up to 6 -9 months.).
- 3When you are ready to prepare the couscous, measure out the correct serving of dry ingredients into a large bowl, preferably the one you will be serving it from. The dry & wet combination is given above in the ingredients.
- 4Add the olive oil or butter & mix thoroughly.
- 5Add the boiling stock and mix thoroughly - place a clean tea towel over the top of the bowl and leave for 5 minutes.
- 6Fluff up the couscous after 5 minutes & add more liquid if needed.
- 7Add a knob of butter or a teaspoon of live oil - mix & sprinkle with freshly chopped coriander - cilantro before serving.
- 8You could also add more nuts or fruit as a garnish if you wish.
- 9This is a basic recipe - all kinds of dried fruit and nuts can be used such as: almonds, cashew nuts, dried cherries or cranberries, dried banana or coconut. It will depend on what you will be serving it with!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheat's Easy Spiced Couscous With Fruit and Nuts - in a Jar!
Serving Size: 1 (97 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 402.7
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 61.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 9.2 g
- Protein 9.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
ras el hanout spice mix