Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I desperately wanted a chicken and shroom pie but couldn't be bothered to find a nice recipe or to wait for one to bake in the oven so I made this up as I went along - it was yummy! The amounts are therefore approximate and I would imagine lots of subsititutes/omissions/additions would be possible. We had it with mashed home-grown potatoes, yummy! A quick note about the white sauce, use whichever recipe/ready-made version you normally use but make it slightly thicker than single cream (this is runnier than a normal bechemal sauce) by using slightly less milk and adding chicken stock.
- 2 chicken breasts (cut into inch-size pieces)
- 100 g lardons
- 100 g white mushrooms (quartered)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons finely chopped dried wild mushrooms (rehydrated)
- 1 garlic clove (crushed)
- 1 shallot (finely chopped)
- 1 -2 sheet puff pastry, cut to 15cm squares (1 or 2 each)
- white sauce (see Recipe Description)
- 50 -150 ml chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Pre-heat the oven to 220°C.
- Fry the lardons (without oil, the lardons provide the fat).
- Move the lardons to one side.
- Add the chopped shallot and crushed garlic, warm through until the shallot is soft.
- Put the puff pastry in the oven.
- Add the chicken, pepper and thyme to the frying pan, cook on medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the white mushrooms, cook on medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the wild mushrooms, cook on low heat for 8-10 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, make the white sauce with chicken stock added.
- Add the peas and white sauce to the chicken, heat gently for 2-4 minutes to mix thoroughly.
- Serve the chicken and shrooms with the puff pastry lid placed on top.