dimensionally transcendental's Note:
I desperately wanted a chicken and shroom pie but couldn't be bothered to find a nice recipe or to wait for one to bake in the oven so I made this up as I went along - it was yummy! The amounts are therefore approximate and I would imagine lots of subsititutes/omissions/additions would be possible. We had it with mashed home-grown potatoes, yummy! A quick note about the white sauce, use whichever recipe/ready-made version you normally use but make it slightly thicker than single cream (this is runnier than a normal bechemal sauce) by using slightly less milk and adding chicken stock.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 chicken breasts (cut into inch-size pieces)
- 100 g lardons
- 100 g white mushrooms (quartered)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped dried wild mushrooms (rehydrated)
- 1 garlic clove (crushed)
- 1 shallot (finely chopped)
- 1 -2 sheet puff pastry, cut to 15cm squares (1 or 2 each)
- white sauce (see Recipe Description)
- 50 -150 ml chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1Pre-heat the oven to 220°C.
- 2Fry the lardons (without oil, the lardons provide the fat).
- 3Move the lardons to one side.
- 4Add the chopped shallot and crushed garlic, warm through until the shallot is soft.
- 5Put the puff pastry in the oven.
- 6Add the chicken, pepper and thyme to the frying pan, cook on medium heat for 2 minutes.
- 7Add the white mushrooms, cook on medium heat for 2 minutes.
- 8Add the wild mushrooms, cook on low heat for 8-10 minutes.
- 9While the chicken is cooking, make the white sauce with chicken stock added.
- 10Add the peas and white sauce to the chicken, heat gently for 2-4 minutes to mix thoroughly.
- 11Serve the chicken and shrooms with the puff pastry lid placed on top.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheat's Chicken and Mushroom Pie
Serving Size: 1 (242 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 959.9
- Calories from Fat 546
- Total Fat 60.6 g
- Saturated Fat 15.8 g
- Cholesterol 93.5 mg
- Sodium 442.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 42.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried wild mushrooms