Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
For when its just too hot to bake or when you just don't have the time. Buy toasted coconut and that part can be skipped. Cook time is chilling time.
- 1⁄4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup Cool Whip (or other whipped cream)
- 2 cups prepared vanilla pudding
- 2 (11 ounce) sara lee poundcake (or other brand)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread the coconut on a baking sheet and toast in the oven until golden brown. About 10 minutes, shaking the tray once halfway through cooking.
- Remove and let cool.
- In a medium bowl, gently fold together the whipped cream and pudding.
- Slice each cake vertically in half, then slice each half horizontally into three 1/2 inch layers.
- Line an 8x8 square pan with 4 slices of cake to make one layer.
- Top with about 1 cup of pudding mixture, spreading to cover the cake. Repeat the process to form 3 layers, ending with the pudding mixture.
- Refrigerate for one hour.
- Garnish with the toasted coconut.
This is so easy and definitely helpful when you are short on time. I took this to a buddy's for an Easter get-together, and people seemed to like it. I didn't want to mess with measuring 1 c. cool whip out, so I just used an 8 oz. container (which is more than 1 c.). I used fat-free sugar free vanilla pudding and fat free milk to make it with, so that cut down on the calories a little bit. We weren't really worried about calories, though. I could only find the 16 oz. Sara lee pound cakes, and one was more than enough for an 8x8 pan. I only got 2 layers of each thing (cake, pudding, cake, pudding, coconut), then it was at the VERY top. I could have used a bigger pan. I also had some pudding mixture left, so we are going to dip strawberries in it. I think the name is a bit misleading, as the only coconut is just on top. This recipe is easily adaptable by omitting the coconut, using different puddings (chocolate would be good), putting coconut in each layer, different add-ins, etc. Thanks for posting this!
I have to admit that as soon as I saw this recipe I knew what my reaction to it would be. It is so easy and I just knew the ingredients would work. I used sugar-free cool whip and sugar free pudding to bring the nutritional numbers more in line with my diet. This is just plain comfort food and I loved it.