Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
From The Splendid Table and Lynne Rossetto Kasper. Makes about 4 cups; doubles and triples easily. 5 minutes prep time; 30 minutes stove time. The broth keeps for 4 days refrigerated and 6 months frozen. Claimed by the editor of Gormet to be the best she ever had. Put here for safe keeping
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed (leave unpeeled if organic)
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 canned tomato
- 1 bay leaf, broken
- 3 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth or 3 (14 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 1 onion, medium to large, coarse chopped (if organic, trim away root but leave skin)
- 1 stalk celery & leaves, coarse chopped
- 1⁄2 medium carrot, coarse chopped (leave unpeeled if organic)
- In a 4-quart pot, combine all the ingredients. Bring to a simmer, partially cover, and cook for 30 minutes.
- Strain the broth into a bowl or a storage container. Either use it right away, refrigerate it, or freeze it.