Recipe by kit in NO
Weekly cooking for my mother was becoming mundane, so I branched out to something new. I had no trout, nor did I have time to follow the Brown sauce recipe from Commander's Palace. This is the yummy result.
- 1 1⁄4 ounces brown gravy mix (I used Knorr)
- 12 tablespoons butter (1 1/2 sticks divided)
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons parsley, fresh, minced
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup flour
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- The sauce:.
- Prepare brown gravy mix in accordance with package directions (basically, whisk 1 1/2 c water with mix and cook until thickened). Keep warm.
- Add wine to gravy and cook 2 minutes over low heat.
- Add lemon juice, worchestershire sauce, parsley, and bay leaf, and cook 2 minutes.
- Add 8 tbs (1 stick) butter and stir occasionally. Once incorporated keep warm.
- This makes enough sauce for several uses.
- The almonds:.
- Toast almonds in a dry heavy over medium hear skillet stirring constantly, until fragrant. Remove from pan so a not to scorce them.
- The chicken:.
- Pound chicken breasts until flattened into a uniform thickness of 1/2 inch.
- Combine flour, salt, and pepper on a plate.
- Heat the remaining butter and the olive oil into a large skillet until hot.
- Dredge chicken into flour mixture to coat.
- Place chicken in pan. Cook 4 minutes each side (or thereabouts) until done.
- Drain chicken on paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Place chicken on a serving platter. Drizzle 3/4 to 1 cup of sauce over chicken and top with almonds.
- Serve immediately.