Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Sometimes you just don't have all day to make Vietnamese soup! You can have this made and in your hands in 15 minutes!
- 1 ounce cellophane noodle
- 8 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 28 ounces chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- Soak noodles in very hot tap water.
- While noodles are soaking, cut chicken into thin julienne strips.
- Heat oil in deep skillet over medium-high heat; add chicken; garlic, ginger, and pepper flakes.
- Cook, stirring for 1 minute; then add broth and fish sauce and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer until chicken is done, about 8 minutes.
- Drain noodles and cut into short pieces, about 1-1 1/2 inches long.
- Arrange noodles in bottom of bowls; ladle soup over the top and sprinkle with cilantro, onion, and basil.
- Serve with"Tuong Ot Sriracha" (Viet hot sauce), or chile paste, if desired.
What a great, special soup! It'seasy and ever so tasty. I love hot 'n spicy and this hits the spot. The only thing I changed was the peanut oil I used chili oil (use what's on hand) Thank's SueL I'll be trying more of your recipes
Great quick soup - I made this for a family dinner, and everyone loved it. Just the right amount of heat (as my mom put it, "Food that bites back a little"). Adding the herbs really changes the tenor of the soup and makes it a soup with a lot of flavor, and not just heat. If you're making this in advance, try steamed rice instead of the noodles - they won't absorb quite as much liquid. Thanks for the recipe!
Can I only give this 5 stars?? This was so fast and easy to put together, and the flavor was FANTASTIC! I threw in a few bean sprouts at the end, and served it with sriracha sauce. The balance of flavors in this soup is incredible. I have long been afraid to make pho (or lazy, I dunno), and now I have absolutely no reason to go through the trouble! Thank you Sue, for another absolutely wonderful recipe!