Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 -3 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 -3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 crushed bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley (optional)
- 1 -2 cup frozen sliced okra (optional)
- salt and pepper
- cayenne pepper
- 12 ounces frozen baby shrimp (at least)
- cooked rice
- In medium skillet, cook onion, garlic, green pepper and celery in butter or oil until tender.
- Stir in tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, bay leaf, parsley, cayenne, and salt and pepper.
- Add shrimp and okra (if desired) (can put both shrimp and okra in frozen- no need to thaw).
- Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook at least 10 minutes.
- Remove cover and simmer at least 20 minutes.
- Serve over cooked rice.
Great recipe. Very tasty and healthy. I made mine without okra, and it still tasted great!
Quick, tasty and healthy meal -- and it helped use up some of our bumper crop of okra. =) I did miss the complexity and richness of flavor that comes when you start with a roux, so I will do that when I make it next time. I also added tabasco and some red pepper flakes. Thanks for sharing your recipe!