Recipe by trc
This is a nice simple recipe. I have been making it since I was 14. It's easy to experiment with and fairly low calorie.
- 1 cup cake flour (I have substituted all-purpose and it works)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 eggs, separated,at room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350, and line 2 nine inch pans with wax paper.
- Sift flour with baking powder; in a separate bowl, combine the water and the vanilla.
- Beat egg yolks until thick, then slowly add the sugar bit by bit, until the mixture gets thick and cream colored.
- Add the flour alternately with the water, beginning and ending with the flour.
- With clean mixer, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar untilsoft peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into batter lightly, about 1/4 at a time.
- Spoon into the pans and bake about 25 minutes, or until gold and springy.
- I have added 3/4 cup nuts, 1/4 cup cocoa (sifted with the flour), 1 tbsp instant coffee, etc--it's a nice recipe to experiment with.
- You can also make these into cupcakes--fill cupcake papers 3/4 full, bake about 12 minutes, makes about 24.