Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Super cheap if you tend to keep garlic and olive oil on hand at all times like I do and can find a can of clams for more like $0.99 instead of $2.50 (luckily, I can at one of the cheaper grocery stores). If not, it's still worth it. I keep parsley frozen flat in the freezer and just break off a piece to add, but you can go with anything along the lines of the basil, Italian seasoning, parsley family, really - very versatile that way. Mix and match spices or even oils, add milk or don't, and it will still be delicious and fast. Aiming for healthier? Excellent over whole wheat pasta, too!
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 4.92 ml basil (or fresh parsley)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 14.79 ml onion, minced (optional)
- 0.25 ml crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 184.27 g canchopped clams (reserve juice)
- 14.79 ml margarine
- 14.79-44.37 ml milk (optional) or 14.79-44.37 ml half-and-half (optional)
- Heat olive oil in small pan, and add garlic and the optional onions. Cook on medium about 3 minutes or until tender and lightly browned.
- Stir in the basil or parsley (or both or other spices) and optional red pepper flakes.
- Add the drained juice from the can of clams.
- Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to low allowing to simmer about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the clams and the butter. Once butter is melted, add the optional milk or half and half and cook until heated through.
- Serve over spaghetti or linguine or other favorite pasta.
Made it. Didn't need the butter, but I did add the half and half. To make it a one dish meal, I added some frozen peas to the pasta as it was about done. Great! And proportions perfect for a single gal;-)
Excellent! I made as posted but used slice green onion in place of regular. Very easy and flavorful dish to make. I had some leftover cooked fettuccine that I used. Thanks for posting. :)
Maggie, This is awesome! Thank you for the suggestion that freezing herbs and chipping at them as needed will work. You have saved me countless dollars! By the way, the sauce was great!