Recipe by Chef MacKinnon
Ever come home and wonder what's for dinner? And you are in the mood for pizza, but take-out is too expensive, the frozen pizza is too expensive, and virtually tasteless, and worst of all- your bank account is next to zip because instead of a Christmas Bonus you got the pink slip? Is that what's buggin' you? I feel your pain- and I love to see what's in the 'fridge and the pantry, and with a few minutes of fun you can have a fantastic deep dish pizza that will rival anything Lou Malnati in Chicago can dish out! I've been unemployed for 6 weeks and was craving pizza one night- and used what I had. I've made 3 of these in the past 4 weeks and each one gets better than the one before!
Top Review by catmaniacs
We did not enjoy this. Made exactly as written and it was pretty bland. The best part was the sausage with the seasonings. I think I would make that and brown it off and add that to omelets or other pizza recipes. Thanks anyway.
- 2 (7 1/2 ounce) packages biscuits (Buttermilk or Homestyle- your choice)
- 4 ounces pork sausage (Sage, Hot & Spicy or Italian- your choice)
- 4 ounces genoa salami (thin sliced is best!)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes (with basil, garlic and oregano)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, drained (stems and pieces)
- 1 (8 ounce) bag cheese (Shredded Italian Cheese Blend or Pizza Blend)
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 2 tablespoons sweet basil
- 1 medium white onion, sliced into wafer-thin slices
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a 10 1/2" x 15" baking sheet with olive oil.
- Preheat your oven to 400F (or the temperature listed on your biscuits).
- Open the packages of biscuits and roll out each biscuit until it is about 1/4" thick. Lay the flat biscuits on the baking sheet and cover the entire bottom, making sure you have no gaps.
- Place the sheet into the oven for about 3 minutes to pre-bake the crust.
- Remove the sheet from the oven, and apply a coating of olive oil to the crust.
- Layer on 1/2 of the bag of shredded cheese.
- Open the Diced Tomatoes, put into a bowl and add the Tomato paste, and stir together. Spread on top of the cheese layer.
- Layer on the 4 ounces of the thin sliced Genoa Salami.
- Take the sausage and mix in the 2 tablespoons of Oregano and the 2 tablespoons of the Sweet Basil. Once mixed together (I mash this in my hands), place small pinches all over the pizza, and even on the salami.
- Layer on the Mushrooms.
- Take the Sliced Onion and spread around the pizza.
- Layer on the remaining cheese and any leftover goodies.
- Place the tray back into the oven for about 10-15 minutes, make sure the sausage is cooked. Due to oven variables, keep a close watch after 10 minutes!
- Remove from oven, slice and enjoy!