1/1 Photo of Cheap & Deep Biscuit Dough Pizza
Chef MacKinnon's Note:
Ever come home and wonder what's for dinner? And you are in the mood for pizza, but take-out is too expensive, the frozen pizza is too expensive, and virtually tasteless, and worst of all- your bank account is next to zip because instead of a Christmas Bonus you got the pink slip? Is that what's buggin' you? I feel your pain- and I love to see what's in the 'fridge and the pantry, and with a few minutes of fun you can have a fantastic deep dish pizza that will rival anything Lou Malnati in Chicago can dish out! I've been unemployed for 6 weeks and was craving pizza one night- and used what I had. I've made 3 of these in the past 4 weeks and each one gets better than the one before!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (7 1/2 ounce) packages biscuits (Buttermilk or Homestyle- your choice)
- 4 ounces pork sausage (Sage, Hot & Spicy or Italian- your choice)
- 4 ounces genoa salami (thin sliced is best!)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes (with basil, garlic and oregano)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, drained (stems and pieces)
- 1 (8 ounce) bag cheese (Shredded Italian Cheese Blend or Pizza Blend)
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 2 tablespoons sweet basil
- 1 medium white onion, sliced into wafer-thin slices
- 1Grease a 10 1/2" x 15" baking sheet with olive oil.
- 2Preheat your oven to 400F (or the temperature listed on your biscuits).
- 3Open the packages of biscuits and roll out each biscuit until it is about 1/4" thick. Lay the flat biscuits on the baking sheet and cover the entire bottom, making sure you have no gaps.
- 4Place the sheet into the oven for about 3 minutes to pre-bake the crust.
- 5Remove the sheet from the oven, and apply a coating of olive oil to the crust.
- 6Layer on 1/2 of the bag of shredded cheese.
- 7Open the Diced Tomatoes, put into a bowl and add the Tomato paste, and stir together. Spread on top of the cheese layer.
- 8Layer on the 4 ounces of the thin sliced Genoa Salami.
- 9Take the sausage and mix in the 2 tablespoons of Oregano and the 2 tablespoons of the Sweet Basil. Once mixed together (I mash this in my hands), place small pinches all over the pizza, and even on the salami.
- 10Layer on the Mushrooms.
- 11Take the Sliced Onion and spread around the pizza.
- 12Layer on the remaining cheese and any leftover goodies.
- 13Place the tray back into the oven for about 10-15 minutes, make sure the sausage is cooked. Due to oven variables, keep a close watch after 10 minutes!
- 14Remove from oven, slice and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheap & Deep Biscuit Dough Pizza
Serving Size: 1 (140 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 560.4
- Calories from Fat 292
- Total Fat 32.4 g
- Saturated Fat 12.8 g
- Cholesterol 59.2 mg
- Sodium 1617.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 21.7 g