Recipe by Chef mariajane
This is another recipe that I got from the collection in out local newspaper. Sounds like a simple recipe to make.
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 cups water
- 1 lb sticky raisins (not seeded)
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together 2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup shortening, 2 cups water and 1 lb. sticky raisins. Boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves. Add to raisin mixture.
- Bake for 1 hour in 325F oven.
- You can also add cherries (red and green), mixed peel, nutmeats, and currants as well to this recipe.