Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a great way to use up leftover Great Big Poufy Buns - I had three of them left over from the week and trimmed them up, cubed them and made a basic bread pudding recipe. I took it out of the oven as DH was leaving for work and he hung around while I packed it up for him. The whole house smells great! Switch up the ingredients to what your family likes!
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 2⁄3 cup sugar (use more or less depending on your sweet tooth)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (plus more for baking dish)
- 3 rolls (stale Great Big Poufy Buns Great Big Poufy Buns)
- Butter a 7 x 11" baking dish.
- Trim the dark crust tops off of the rolls and cut them into large cubes, about 1 1/2 inches.
- Mix custard ingredients well and pour over the cubed rolls. Dot with butter Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate several hours or overnight until custard soaks into the stale Recipe #379727.
- Remove the pudding from the fridge and let it come to room temperature and then preheat the oven to 350*
- Leave the plastic wrap on and then cover tightly with foil. Set into a hot water bath and bake covered for 40 minutes. Remove foil and plastic wrap and continue baking another 15 - 20 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Variations include orange zest, almond extract, citron, currants, what you like.
- We like it plain but you can add a rum sauce at serving time if you like.
- Easy, plain and yummy.