Recipe by Kiersten Phae
This is a sticky, sweet rice, I got from my husband's family. It can be molded and then sliced to serve. It seems like a long process, but it's not that bad. I omit the peanuts because of my son's allergies. As commented by Elmotoo, you can add the syrup in stages until you get the desired consistency. (Thanks Elmo!)
Top Review by Susiecat too
I think perhaps the directions might need some clarification for this to come out as spectacularly as I think it could. I also had more liquid, and not so much stickiness, as another reviewer mentioned. Perhaps a certain type of rice might yield a stickier consistency? I'd be curious to know what type is traditionally used. My rice was eaten out of bowls, because even though the liquid absorbed, the rice was not sticky and in no way could it be molded and/or cut. So, that being said, the flavor here is complex and out of this world, with the mild sweetness and the coconut/ginger combination. I loved it! If the construction part had gone as it was supposed to, this would definitely be a 5-star recipe. I would love to try this again, and see if I can make rice balls to roll in coconut or peanuts. Thanks for the delicious treat, Kiersten!
- 1 cup rice, steamed (directions below)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar (traditionally use dark palm sugar)
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 inch fresh ginger, grated
- 1⁄2 cup desiccated coconut
- 3 drops red food coloring (optional)
- 2 tablespoons peanuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- To Steam the Rice:.
- Soak the rice in water for 8 hours, drain.
- Put rice into a steamer basket that is lined with cheesecloth.
- Cover and cook over boiling water, about 20 minutes, until tender.
- Place rice in a bowl, cover to keep warm.
- For the Syrup:.
- In small saucepan, add water and sugar.
- Cook over medium heat.
- Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Boil for about 1 minutes.
- Add grated ginger.
- Reduce heat to a light simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add red food coloring, if desired.
- Pour syrup over rice, stir to completely mix. You can shaped the rice now. Disks are easy, especially to hold the coconut. If using shapes, can press garnishes into the rice slightly. =).
- Garnish with coconut and peanuts.