A Chayote dish to add variety to your meal. Note:When I made this I also added some garlic powder along with the salt & pepper. I used mexican blend cheese for the cheese, It was delicious. When boiling the chayote be sure to cook it until really tender so that is is easy to scoop out of the shell. Note: I have found that most of the time the Chayote takes longer to cook than 15 minutes because of size or age.
- Cut the chayotes in half, place in boiling salted water and cook until tender, approximately 15 minutes.
- Scoop out the pulp and reserve the shells.
- Chop the pulp and drain.
- Mince the onion and slowly fry in butter or olive oil until transparent.
- Add the pulp of the chayote and season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Add the 2 beaten eggs over the mixture and cook over low heat for a few minutes, mixing well until done.
- Stuff the chayote shells and top with grated cheese.
- Place in hot oven, 400 degrees until cheese is melted & golden.