Recipe by Steve P.
Simple Easy to make salad with a South American vegetable that is becoming increasingly more available in US markets.
Top Review by WI Cheesehead
This is the first time I've tried chayote. It was okay this way, but no one was crazy about it. I might try stuffing it next time. I think this is a good salad for people who love similar cucumber type salads (with the vinegar and oil). My DD said she would like it, but it (the chayote) was too watery.
- 1 quart water
- 6 chayotes, peeled,cores removed
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons Italian parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 5 tablespoons white vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring the water to a boil in a deep pot.
- Put the chayote squash into the boiling water and boil for 10 minutes; do not overcook.
- Drain in a colander.
- Slice the squash and place in a salad bowl with garlic, onion, salt, pepper, parsley, oil and vinegar.
- Mix well and refrigerate before serving.