Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
If you love thin and crispy, this is the kugel for you!
- 6 peeled potatoes
- 1 onion
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons matzo meal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons oil
- Grate potatoes in the food processor.
- If you can grate with a large hole, use the largest.
- Grate onion.
- Place in large bowl.
- Add eggs, Beat them first.
- Add rest of ingredients including oil.
- Mix well.
- Place in a greased, large pan in a thin layer.
- Bake at 375 till brown and crispy.
- For extra crunchy kugel, add about 2 extra tablespoons of oil to the pan and place the pan in the oven to heat the oil, then put in the kugel.
Since we eat this practically every week, and it is my recipe, I just have to give it 5 stars. I have to make 2-one for the kids to eat now and one to eat with the meal. Chava
This was delicious! This was my first attempt at making a savory kugel. This tastes like potato pancakes baked in a casserole. I was unable to get matzo meal, so I used cracker crumbs instead, and this worked out fine. It was so good that we all had second helpings. NOTE: My potatoes were particularly watery after grating in the food processor, so I drained them well in a mesh strainer, using my hands to squeeze out as much liquid as possible, before mixing them with the rest of the ingredients.
This is a good kugel, and if you like crust, this is the kugel for you! Instead of salt and pepper I used onion soup mix, and it gave a great flavor to the potatoes.