Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I found this recipe on an international recipe site I use. It's absolutely incredible and worth the effort. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed!!! I also like to add some chopped,roasted jalapenos!
- 2267.96 g whole chickens
- 2365.9 ml water
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 5 fresh cilantro stems
- 14.79 ml oil
- 29.58 ml white onions, diced
- 768.91 ml chicken broth
- 709.77 ml uncooked rice
- 29.58-44.37 ml oil or 29.58-44.37 ml butter tbs butter
- 44.37 ml butter
- 236.59 ml diced white onion
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 113.39 g pancetta or 113.39 g diced bacon
- 44.37 ml finely chopped cilantro
- 29.58 ml hot black pepper
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 2.46 ml achiote powder
- 2 bell peppers, diced (1 red and 1 green)
- 236.59 ml cooked peas
- 2 cooked carrots, diced (1 cup)
- 118.29 ml raisins
- 6 eggs, scrambled
- 103.53 ml soy sauce
- 29.58 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 44.37 ml finely chopped cilantro or 44.37 ml parsley
- 2 bunch scallions or 2 bunch green onions, finely chopped
- 226.79 g roasted jalapeno, chopped
- Bring the water, carrots, onions, celery and herbs to boil in a large pot, add the chicken and cook over medium heat for about 1 hour or until the chicken is very tender and fully cooked.
- Remove the chicken from the broth and save the broth.
- To cook the rice, heat the butter, add the onions and the rice, stir well. Then add the broth, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile debone the chicken and reserve the chicken meat for later.
- Heat the first 2-3 tbs butter or oil over medium heat in a large pan to prepare a refrito or base for the chaulafan.
- Add the chopped onions, diced pancetta, crushed garlic, 1 tbs Worcester sauce, 1 tbs soy sauce, cumin, cilantro, hot pepper powder, and achiote powder; cook for about 5-8 minutes or until the onions are soft.
- Add the cooked rice, chicken meat, and diced bell peppers. Stir well and cook over medium high heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the remaining soy sauce, remaining Worcester sauce, scrambled eggs, peas, carrots, raisins, mix well.
- Add the chopped herbs and green onions.
- Serve with avocado slices, aji or hot sauce, and ketchup (or spicy ketchup).