1 hr 30 mins
Recipe courtesy of Joan Schwartz. Saw this Mac and cheese done on Food Network back in 2001. The recipe was only available for a short time online and I've come close to loosing it a few times now, so I thought that I would post it for all.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb butter, plus extra for the baking dish
- 1 1/4 lbs elbow macaroni
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 small onion, diced small
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup flour
- 5 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 slices American cheese, broken into small pieces
- 2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons green chili sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter a 9 by 13 by 4-inch baking dish.
- 2Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat and cook the macaroni until al dente, 8-10 minutes. Drain.
- 3In a small bowl, combine the cream and milk.
- 4In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the 1/2 pound of butter and cook the onion and garlic until the onion is translucent, about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the flour, stirring constantly for 3 minutes. Add the cream mixture in a steady stream and whisk until smooth. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, 8-10 minutes.
- 5Stir in 4 cups of the cheddar, the American cheese, 1 cup of the grated Parmesan, the hot pepper sauce, and cumin. Stir until all the cheese has melted; the sauce will be very thick and creamy. Season with salt and pepper.
- 6Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in the pasta. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining Cheddar, then the Parmesan, and finally the bread crumbs.
- 7Bake uncovered on the middle shelf for about 20 minutes until bubbling and brown on top.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chat N' Chew Macaroni Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (369 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1687.0
- Calories from Fat 1013
- Total Fat 112.5 g
- Saturated Fat 69.6 g
- Cholesterol 344.6 mg
- Sodium 1832.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 106.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 62.6 g