Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
A popular salad from Chasen's Restaurant. Recipe from the Los Angeles Central Library's collection of old menus.
- 1 1⁄2 bunches fresh spinach
- 1⁄3 cup chopped bacon, cooked crisp
- 1⁄2 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry English-style mustard
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- Start by making the dressing, in a shaker (such as a jar) dissolve the sugar, salt, pepper and English mustard in vinegar.
- Add in oils, lemon juice, Worcestershire, garlic, Tabasco and white pepper.
- Cover and shake jar vigorously.
- Set the jar aside or chill until needed.
- For the salad, remove stems and wash spinach leaves in several changes of water until there is no trace of sand, dry well.
- Clean mushrooms and cut off stems, thinly slice mushrooms.
- Combine the red wine vinegar and Worcestershire sauce with the French dressing in a cup.
- Place the spinach in a large bowl, tear the large leaves into smaller pieces.
- Add the mushrooms, dressing and bacon.
- Toss to mix, sprinkle with freshly ground pepper.
- Serve on chilled plates.
- Serve with Chasen's cheese toast.