Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Chasen's was the "in" place in Hollywood for many years until it closed a few years ago. We got this recipe out of one of the "ladies' magazines" over 40 years ago. We thought we had lost the recipe but it has turned up - and I am glad.
- 1 lb fresh spinach
- 3⁄4 lb bacon
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons tarragon vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 2⁄3 cup olive oil or 2⁄3 cup salad oil
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Wash spinach, removed stems, break into bite-sized pieces and chill until crisp.
- Dressing: Combine bacon drippings, vinegars, garlic, oil, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
- Place crisp spinach leaves in a large salad bowl, salt and pepper to taste, add crumbled bacon and just enough dressing to coat each leaf lightly. Store remaining dressing the in the refrigerator.
- Toss and serve at once.
I've made this atleast 3 times, and I was sure I had reviewed it before now. Great salad. I also added some thin sliced red onion. Very good recipe, the flavors melded together very well. Easy to prepare as well, this is a keeper.