Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Found this on the web a long time ago. Putting it here for safekeeping.
Make and share this Chasen's Famous Chili recipe from Food.com.
- 12 ounces canned kidney beans
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans tomatoes
- 1 lb green bell pepper, seeded, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 2 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1⁄3 cup chili powder (2 more)
- 2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Place beans in a large pot with 1/2 cup water.
- Add more water as needed.
- Add tomatoes and simmer 5 minutes. Heat oil in large skillet and sauté green peppers slowly 5 minutes. Add onions and cook until tender, stirring frequently. Add garlic and parsley. In a second large skillet, melt butter and sauté beef and pork 15 minutes.
- Add meat to onion mixture, stir in chili powder and cook 10 minutes. Add meat mixture to beans in large pot. Season with salt, pepper and cumin. Simmer, covered, 1 hour.
- Remove cover and cook 30 minutes longer. Skim fat off top.
- NOTE: This chili freezes very well.