1 hr 20 mins
MARIA MAC *'s Note:
Found this on the web a long time ago. Putting it here for safekeeping.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces canned kidney beans
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans tomatoes
- 1 lb green bell pepper, seeded, chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 2 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1/3 cup chili powder (2 more)
- 2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1Place beans in a large pot with 1/2 cup water.
- 2Add more water as needed.
- 3Add tomatoes and simmer 5 minutes. Heat oil in large skillet and sauté green peppers slowly 5 minutes. Add onions and cook until tender, stirring frequently. Add garlic and parsley. In a second large skillet, melt butter and sauté beef and pork 15 minutes.
- 4Add meat to onion mixture, stir in chili powder and cook 10 minutes. Add meat mixture to beans in large pot. Season with salt, pepper and cumin. Simmer, covered, 1 hour.
- 5Remove cover and cook 30 minutes longer. Skim fat off top.
- 6NOTE: This chili freezes very well.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chasen's Famous Chili
Serving Size: 1 (529 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 884.2
- Calories from Fat 499
- Total Fat 55.4 g
- Saturated Fat 24.0 g
- Cholesterol 234.6 mg
- Sodium 1318.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.6 g
- Sugars 11.9 g
- Protein 64.4 g